LAST CHANCE to join us at our upcoming OTRADI & OBI 10-Year Anniversary Celebration on September 11, 2018.
You are invited to attend OTRADI’s 10-Year Anniversary and OBI’s 5-Year Anniversary Celebration and Cruise aboard the Portland Spirit. We’re inviting the entire bio and startup entrepreneurship community, as well as legislators, partners, collaborators and supporters, to attend and celebrate 10 years of bio-research and startup accomplishments for our OTRADI/OBI community.
- Federal Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici
- State Representative David Gomberg
- Dr. Robert Guldberg, Executive Director of the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact at the University of Oregon
- Dr. Erin Flynn, board chair of the Oregon Innovation Council and the Founding Board Chair of the Portland Innovation Quadrant (IQ)
- Dr. Jennifer Fox, Executive Director of OTRADI and the Oregon Bioscience Incubator (OBI)
OBI Client Company Wins
- Hemex Health was awarded 3 NIH grants:
- $1.725M fast-track SBIR award from the National Heart, Blood and Lung Institute to advance their sickle cell test.
- $225K award from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to enable their malaria diagnostic to distinguish between the two most common forms of malaria and to further lower their limit of malaria detection.
- $225K award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases to adapt their device to identify and measure HbA1C (flycosylated hemoglobin), which is an indicator of diabetes.
- Madorra closed the first tranche of their Series A raise. They also received IRB approval for their Human Factors study.
September BioMentor Highlight
OBI has an extensive BioMentor program available to provide pro bono advice and assistance to promising life science entrepreneurs across the state of Oregon. This month we are highlighting OBI BioMentor, and OBI Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Dr. William Newman.
As a BioMentor, Dr. Newman provides advice and assistance in the areas of business creation, investment strategies and capital sources, market-entry and growth strategies, and, for companies with origins in the academic/research sector, advice and assistance in working with institutions and researchers.
Now Announcing Two New Grant Programs for Oregon Startups!
SBIR/STTR Matching Grants from Business Oregon:
Please note this grant DOES require a startup to have SBIR/STTR funding.
Business Oregon is looking for entrepreneurs and startups who would like to apply for this supplemental funding to match a portion of their SBIR/STTR grant/s. Business Oregon is accepting applications on a rolling basis, so you can apply as soon as you get all the materials together. All information is available on Business Oregon’s website. The application form and guidelines are in the resources box on the right side of the page.
Enhanced Phase 0 Grants from Business Oregon:
Please note this grant does NOT require a startup to have SBIR/STTR funding.
Grants of up to $100,000 will be provided to Oregon startups commercializing promising science and research that aligns with Oregon InC’s targeted industry sectors: active lifestyle, advanced manufacturing, natural resources, life science applications, advanced materials, and clean tech/impact investing. This program will focus on companies that are not yet ready for commercial or institutional investment. Funds are meant to support proof of concept for innovations – development of a commercially viable product, market validation and other relevant expenditures. To be eligible, companies should have existing relationships with OTRADI/OBI, University Tech Transfer Offices and related Business Oregon innovation partner organizations.
Proposals will be accepted in September of 2018, December of 2018 and March of 2019 pending available funding. September applications are due September 28th.
Join us for these OBI events and OBI’s Partner Events in September:
Partner Event: Tonkon Torp is hosting a Tonkon Talks on Cybersecurity for Startups on September 5th. Register now. Free to attend.
Partner Event: Oregon Bioscience Association is hosting Bio on the Vine on September 5th. Register now. $20 – $60 per person to attend.
OBI Event: OBI/OTRADI 10-Year Anniversary Celebration aboard the Portland Spirit on September 11, 2018. Register now. $35 per person to attend.
OBI Event: Join us for a Lunch & Learn on Financial Forecasting and What Data To Present on September 19 from 12pm – 1pm. Register now. Free to attend.
Partner Event: WIS is hosting their 1st Annual Women in Science Portland Fundraising Gala on September 20th. Register now. $75 – $100 per person to attend.
Partner Event: OCTRI is hosting the Biomedical Innovation Program fastPACE, a 4-week biomedical commercialization course. Register by September 20th to attend. Free to participate.