Client Company Wins
Health Technology Innovations (HTI):
- Charles Rice, a local Portland resident, has joined HTI as a Senior Machine Learning Development Engineer.
- Intel Corp. has asked HTI to benchmark their new Xeon platform with CryoDiscovery ™, HTI’s AI-based automation platform for cryo-EM image acquisition and processing.
- We won PitchOregon’s Life Science & Healthcare category last month!
- We received FDA approval at the end of last week to initiate a clinical trial of our device for simultaneous MRI imaging and biopsying of the prostate.
- We have also subsequently received IRB approval from OHSU for this trial.
- We expect to initiate patient recruitment in the near future.
- Patti White, CEO and co-founder of Hemex Health, was asked to speak at the IFC (International Finance Corporation) Global Private Health Conference in Cape Town, South Africa, about the innovation that small companies can bring to global health problems and the huge potential market opportunities.
- Hemex Health is featured on Business Oregon’s Innovation landing page, under “Oregon Business Solves Challenging Global Disease Testing Issue.“
OBI Mentor of the Month:
Matt Hollingsworth is the CEO and Co-founder of Carta Healthcare. Matt’s experience focuses on AI/Data Science and HeathTech. He started his career as high energy physicist, worked at CERN, and was part of the team there that discovered the Higgs Boson. Matt co-founded his first startup as technical co-founder with a colleague, and then went to Stanford’s business school to specialize in healthcare operations. There, he joined the data-driven healthcare operations group, SURF. Matt started Carta based upon tech built while at Stanford. He has an MBA from Stanford Graduate School of Business, and a BA/MS in Physics from the University of Tennessee.
When asked what his colleagues appreciate about him, Matt says, “I have a fairly deep understanding of technological capabilities (spent most of my career in technical roles) and I am very good at marrying that with product and sales strategy. I’m the person in the room that reminds the engineers that cool technology cannot always be sold and the sales people that everything that can be sold should not or cannot necessarily be built. I can help people find product/market fit faster, especially in complex industries where the whole ‘lean startup’ methodology breaks down.”
Matt joined the OBI Mentoring Program this year and has hit the ground running with his mentees. Thank you, Matt, for all you do to help our startup community!
AOBIO Seeks Investors
Get all the details about investing in the Angel Oregon Life & Bioscience investment pool.
Pacific Northwest accredited investors are invited to come learn about investing with Oregon Entrepreneurs Network‘s Angel Oregon Life & Bioscience (AOBIO). The program is designed for angel investors interested in life and bioscience innovation emerging in Oregon and Southwest Washington. New and experienced angel investors are welcome!
AOBIO Investor Information Session
Thursday, March 16th
9:00 AM – 10:15 AM
Zoom – REGISTER HERE
At this session we’ll cover:
- Investment goals and objectives
- How the investment program works, including details of the due diligence process
- Investment team leadership
- Key dates, fees and program details
- Educational track content and speakers
Need Space for Your Bioscience Startup?
If you have a bioscience or health innovation startup and need wet lab or office space, come talk to us! We operate the only bioscience-focused incubator in Oregon, with private offices, private labs, co-working space, and shared labs for startups in bioscience – including digital health, medical devices, AI/ML, diagnostics, therapeutics, pharmaceuticals, and more! We currently have limited space availability, with some new spaces opening up very soon.
Submit your facility inquiry here and let’s schedule a time to talk!
OHSU is Hiring
OHSU is currently hiring two positions to share with our OBI community. Please feel free to spread the word!
- IT Specialist
- This position will support work done at the OHSU Casey Reading Center related to ongoing ophthalmic clinical trials and studies. This will involve programming and maintaining code for clinical trial systems, software, data processing and quality control, as well as bioinformatics reporting. Apply here.
- Research Data Analyst 2 (Quality Assurance Manager)
- This position will support work done at the Casey Reading Center (CRC) related to their ongoing clinical trials and studies. Requires a detail-oriented candidate who will gain experience in clinical trial FDA and international regulations. More information here.
OregonBio: Bio on the Rocks
March 14, 2023
Ironlight in Lake Oswego
Get tickets here
March PubTalk: The Founder Journey
March 15, 2023
Fresh Consulting in Portland
Get tickets here
AOBIO Investor Information Session
First time angel investors welcome!
March 16, 2023
March Happy Hour
March 21, 2023
Viewpoint in Portland
LGBTQ+ in Tech – Paths to Leadership
March 29, 2023
Register in advance
OBI Accelerate Biotech + Digital Health
April 6, 2023
Casa Colima Mexican Restaurant & Cantina in Portland
Registration now open!