OBI Client Company Wins
- Aronora reports positive topline data from their phase 2 clinical trial of recombinant antibody therapeutic AB023 in hemodialysis patients.
- This data was presented at the XXIX Congress of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasias in July.
- See Aronora’s press release here.
- Aronora graduated from the OBI earlier this year, after joining the incubator in 2013.
- Exciting news! The FDA has granted Madorra breakthrough device designation! Read about it here.
- We were mentioned in this great piece in Fast Company underlining the huge opportunity in perimenopause.
- We won the FemAging pitch competition in May and were featured in their report on the space.
- We were featured in an article about technology for menopause.
- We were a featured panelist in Springboard’s Women’s Health Innovation forum.
- Holly is a Ferolyn Fellow this year. Here’s a write up in the Fogarty Institute newsletter all about her participation in the program so far.
- We were featured in the September issue of the Elevate Capital newsletter.
- We were featured in the Oregon Lottery spotlight.
- We were on the speaker panel of the Oregon Pediatric Innovation Event, Powered by CTIP, on September 1.
- We were also featured in the September issue of the Elevate Capital newsletter.
- We are a finalist in Aging 2.0’s Global Innovation Search, announcement attached.
- We are a finalist in the ACORD InsurTech Innovation Challenge.
- We were selected to participate in the American Heart Association of OR/SW Washington’s EmPOWERED to Serve program.
- The Caregiven team (5 employees and 3 contractors) met in-person for the first time (ever) in August for an on-site retreat that corresponded with our Q3 meeting of the Board of Directors. Our team is fully remote with employees in North Carolina and Florida, and a contractor who lives in Arizona. See team photo below.
- Made substantial progress in developing optimized SOP for generating CART against targeted cancer.
- Generated two targeted CART lines of high potency and purity (93-96% purity).
- Will verify the performance and universality of the optimized SOP by generating another three targeted CART lines by October.
- We’ve been accepted into Expert Dojo’s International Healthcare Startup Accelerator.
- For companies accepted into the program, Expert Dojo invests $100,000, provides an 8-week training program that trains the members of the company in all aspects of business, and introduces them to investors and mentors.
- Rewire was awarded our Phase II SBIR from the NIH! This two-year grant will help us develop additional cell detection capabilities and integrate our AI platform into partnering diagnostics devices and applications.
Thank You to our New Corporate Partner
Applications for OBI Mentoring Cohort
Mentor and mentee applications open on October 1 for this structured, 6-month mentoring program, so save the date for your opportunity to get involved!
Would You Like to be a Mentor?
If you have experience working with startups in the bioscience or digital health industry, consider applying to become a mentor. Benefits of mentoring include:
- Free mentor training
- Exclusive access to handpicked startups
- Exclusive network of mentors
- Ability to earn mentor certification
- Give back to your community
- OBI highlights its mentors in the monthly newsletter
Growing Your Business? Become a Mentee!
We are looking for entrepreneurs who are already in business but would like guidance, accountability, and support from a mentor to help set and reach business goals. Benefits and time commitments for mentees include:
- Mentoring helps you grow your business! A recent survey from Kabbage found that 92% of businesses who have a mentor say mentoring has directly impacted their business growth and survival
- Mentee meets with mentor 2 hours a month for 6 months
- Mentee checks in with OBI once per month and completes a survey at the end of the program
Applications Open October 1-31
For more important dates, details, and link to the applications: www.otradi.org/mentoring
Mentor of the Month:
Katherine (Katie) Rubino is one of our newest OBI Mentors. She is an Intellectual Property attorney who divides her time between the east coast and the west coast. Before becoming an IP attorney, Katie was a compounding pharmacist. She worked an an independent pharmacy creating custom medications for patients, and also in the clinical setting at Tufts Medical Center on the heart transplant team, as well as in the industry setting at Biogen. Having worked as a scientist as well as her experience in IP, Katie is an excellent addition to our mentoring team, and is receiving rave reviews from her mentees, such as this comment: “Katie is fabulous. She listens and provides actionable suggestions on the IP and strategy that aligns with (our) business objectives.”
Katie not only volunteers for the OBI Mentoring Program, she is also going to be a judge for the OHSU-OCTRI BIP Corp final pitches next month. Thank you, Katie, for all you do for our community!
OBI is Launching a Job Board
We’re excited to announce that OBI will be launching our Job Board in the next two weeks and we’d love to list any open positions your organization may have. This will help us pre-populate the job board when we go live. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting the link to post your open positions.
If you are a job seeker and would like to have your resume reviewed by recruiters in the community, please email email@example.com requesting the link to upload your resume.
Thanks for helping us make this job board a success!
Black Women in STEM 2.0 Summit:
Beaverton Startup Challenge
Apply now for the OTBC, City of Beaverton, and West Side Startup Fund Beaverton Startup Challenge. Five winners each receive a $25,000 convertible note investment; introductions to legal, accounting, HR, and marketing services; OTBC’s top-rated mentoring services, entrepreneur workshops, and more! Applications are accepted through September 30.
Pitch Oregon – Apply Today!
In its 6th year, Pitch Oregon is TiE Oregon’s marquee event, attracting hundreds of entrepreneurs, mentors, and investors each year. New this year, we are welcoming companies from around the Pacific Northwest to apply and applicants will compete for an equitable investment! Application deadline September 30.
Free SBIR/STTR Training Events
The BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting is offering free training events. September 14, 15, and 16 are packed full of free SBIR/STTR training sessions featuring program managers from varying granting and contracting agencies, such as NIH, DOD, NSF, and many others.
Take Advantage of OSU’s Fall Accelerate Program
Accelerate is a eight- to ten-week program open to community members and OSU researchers, students and staff who intend to establish a privately held, high-growth entrepreneurial venture. This stage focuses on developing a minimal viable product and engaging in customer discovery to validate your product market fit.
The regular Accelerate program runs three times a year (fall, winter, and spring). Through the scheduled program events, one-on-one sessions with the directors, meetings with mentors, and access to intern assistance on projects, startup teams will receive the support they need to get their concept into the marketplace.
The next session of Accelerate will be a condensed, remote program that meets every week for nine weeks, starting Tuesday, October 5th. Each session runs for two hours from 3pm-5pm.
The Fall 2021 Accelerate application is open now until September 24th.
Technology Association of Oregon’s Founders Investing in Founders Program
Technology Association of Oregon recently announced their Founders Investing in Founders (FIIF) program. Led by six inaugural founders, this program helps increase diversity and create economic growth by providing support to underrepresented early-stage startups for up to three years.
PDUFA VII for Biopharma Innovation
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released its performance goals letter for the seventh installment of the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA). PDUFA was first enacted in 1992 as a bipartisan solution to the then long FDA regulatory review timelines for new drugs and biologics. PDUFA allows the FDA to collect fees from biopharmaceutical companies to speed and enhance the review process to help ensure patients have timely access to life-saving treatments.
Read more about how critical PDUFA VII is for future biopharmaceutical innovation and for patients.
Columbia Business School’s Executive Education
Are you looking to gain a competitive edge in digital health?
Columbia Business School’s 6-day Executive Education Model in Digital Health Strategy [Sept 21-23 & 28-30] is exclusively tailored for healthcare executives like you.
A unique first, the program combines Columbia Business School’s renowned leadership with HITLAB’s expertise in digital health research and education.
As a participant, you will learn about the necessary skills and resources required to successfully find, verify and diffuse these digital health solutions – allowing you to truly embed digital health into the core of your organization.
Learn more about the Digital Health Strategy: Leveraging Emerging Technologies in Healthcare program.
Here is a snapshot of the speaker line-up consisting of industry leaders:
- Peter Pfeiffer, Senior Partner, Mckinsey & Company
- Stacy Lloyd, Director of Digital Health Strategy, American Medical Association
- Robin Roberts, Cofounder, Novartis Biome
- Shwen Gwee, VP, Bristol Myers Squibb
Ask about a special OTRADI & OBI tuition rate of $999.
Join Us For These Upcoming OBI Events
Accelerate Biotech + Digital Health
Virtual Happy Hour
September 9, 2021 – TONIGHT!
FREE – Register in advance here
Virtual Lunch & Learn:
Managing Stress & Performance
September 15, 2021
FREE – Register here
Virtual Lunch & Learn:
Understanding the Investor Mindset
October 14, 2021
FREE – Register here
October Accelerate Biotech + Digital Health
Virtual Happy Hour
October 7, 2021
Save the date
Other Great Community Events
VertueLab Fuel 2021:
Catalyzing CleanTech Solutions Summit
September 13-15, 2021
OregonBio Mini BioPro Lunch & Learn:
Making Your Innovations Shine –
The Magic of Good Data Presentation
September 14, 2021
OSU Advantage Accelerator Speaker Series:
What a CPA Does for your Startup
September 22, 2021
The MedTech Conference,
Powered by AdvaMed
September 27-30, 2021
More information here
OHSU Invent-a-thon Social Hour:
Future of Femtech
September 28, 2021
2021 Bend Venture Conference
October 21-22, 2021
More information here